See Where you stand
Call us on 03 9804 0035 to make an appointment at either our Melbourne or Mornington Peninsula Office.


Kids & Covid (2)

Kids & Covid

Friday 17th of September 2021
By: Alisha Edwards, Senior Associate, Coote Family Lawyers

You have all been absolutely wonderful, kind and professional beyond measure.

What happens if we disagree about vaccination?

The Pfizer vaccine has now been approved for all Australians over the age of 12. So, what happens if you and your former partner can’t agree on whether to vaccinate your child?

Save for limited exceptions, parents share parental responsibility for their children, even after separation. This means that major decisions affecting your child’s life, such as religion, education and medical issues, are to be made jointly. The decision to vaccinate your child falls within the category of a major medical decision and generally needs to be made jointly.

If you and your former partner cannot agree on whether to vaccinate your child, in most circumstances you will need to attend Family Dispute Resolution or Mediation first, to try and work it out between you. If your attempts to reach agreement at mediation are unsuccessful, an application to the Family Court might be necessary, where the Court will make the decision for you. The Court will make the decision it considers is in the best interests of the particular child, and may have regard to things such as pre-existing medical conditions and any cultural beliefs held by the parents.

Coote Family Lawyers provide specialist advice in all areas of family law. If you require advice, contact our team of top Melbourne family lawyers on (03) 9804 0035.

Back to News

"At Coote Family Lawyers, we’ll get you to the other side."
Call Us
Back To Top